This article looks at some key essentials to cover in your school’s iPad usage policy, which you can adapt to suit your needs.
Why does my school need an iPad usage policy?
An iPad usage policy is an important document that governs the use of iPads in the school environment. It covers issues like rights, responsibilities and sanctions concerning iPad usage.
The primary aim of such a policy is to keep students and teachers safe, and to encourage responsible use of this technology for everyone who comes into contact with it.
A school will usually create its own policy document which is drafted by teachers in conjunction with the school management. It also includes input from other relevant parties, such as parents.
This policy will feed into the school’s overall ICT policy and will be linked to the school’s anti-bullying and child protection policies.
What should an iPad usage policy cover?
There are some core elements that should be incorporated in an iPad usage policy, these include:
1) Data protection and security
- Enrolling devices into the school’s mobile device management (MDM) system
- Using a designated ID to log in
- Not setting up your personal email account on a school device
- Not signing in to personal social media accounts such as Facebook and Twitter on a school device
- Refraining from using third-party apps or services on a school device
- Re-setting passwords using the school’s MDM system
2) User responsibility
- Keeping your iPad in its protective case when not in use
- Treating your device with care
- Only using approved cleaning materials, e.g. laptop sprays and cloths, to clean your device
- Not leaving your device unattended in a vehicle
- Ensuring your battery is charged and your device is ready for use each day
3) Lost, damaged and stolen devices
- Reporting it immediately if your device is stolen, lost or damaged
- Not carrying out repairs to your device either yourself or using a third-party
- Not tampering with, or trying to access, iPads belonging to other individuals
- Not taking photographs of individuals without their consent
- Refraining from using your device to create, access, store or distribute inappropriate content
- Not using your device to partake in any illegal activities
- Not using your iPad to post images, video or audio without the consent of the individuals in the images/recordings
5) Personal use
- Ensuring you use your iPad for work-related tasks only
- Ensuring you follow the school’s e-safety guidelines when using your device outside of school premises
- Not granting anyone access to your device without permission to do so
- Not storing personal photos or videos on school iPads
Including these elements in your school’s iPad usage policy should ensure you provide clear guidance to both staff and students concerning proper iPad usage. It will also encourage students to adopt a responsible approach when using these devices and make them aware of the consequences of any improper behaviour.
For information on obtaining iPads for your school and the benefits they can bring, contact our friendly team!
iPads for Education from Utility Rentals helps schools, acadamies, colleges and universities across the UK to acquire Apple iPads through affordable and tailor made rental solutions.
Our team of tablet wizards are fully in tune with the requirements of the education sector and will work in partnership with you to make the process of getting and maintaining iPads for your pupils and staff refreshingly straightforward.
Reach out to us
The legal stuff
Part of the Longriver Group.
Utility Rentals is a trading name of Mileshield Limited
Registered in England No. 1967181
Registered office: Belmont Place, Belmont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 6TB